Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter 10-inch springform pan.
- Line bottom with wax paper.
- Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Mix sugar and cocoa in large bowl.
- Add eggs, whisk until well blended.
- Whisk in chocolate-butter mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
- Release cake from pan.
- For Caramel Sauce, stir sugar, water and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat.
- Boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cream.
- Return to low heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add butter, whisk until smooth.
- Cut cake into wedges.
- If desired, arrange wedges on baking sheet and rewarm in 350 oven for 10 minutes.
- Rewarm caramel sauce over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Place warm cake on plate and drizzle with caramel.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
I found my recipe in Bon Appetit some years ago. I have successfully cut the recipe in half and put it in a smaller springform pan. The caramel sauce can be frozen in small containers and brought out whenever you need it (it never freezes solid). This dessert is dense, chocolaty, yummy. Very, very simple....but, dang is it good!!!
Excellent recipe! As a general rule my DD does not like cake or icing so she asked for something with chocolate and caramel for her family birthday desert. This was perfect! My edges were a bit crumbly, but I got busy while it was in the oven and it baked for about 48 minutes, 44 would have been perfect! I was the only one who noticed the crumbs, however, and the entire thing was gone in about 10 minutes flat, with lots of oohs and aahhhs from everyone here. This one goes into the keeper file!
My first flourless and NOT MY LAST!!! Perfect amount of FUDGEY!!!! I "had" to get a set of springforms (got 3 for a song at Wally Mart) for this recipe, you really do need. I didn't make this caramel sauce as I had no cream, but another went along with it great! I made a raspberry sauce too, everyone ended up having both! The recipe was simple and yummy! Don't be alarmed with it falls, it's supposed to.