Recipe by KiraMichelle
Top Review by Abby Girl
I found my recipe in Bon Appetit some years ago. I have successfully cut the recipe in half and put it in a smaller springform pan. The caramel sauce can be frozen in small containers and brought out whenever you need it (it never freezes solid). This dessert is dense, chocolaty, yummy. Very, very simple....but, dang is it good!!!
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter 10-inch springform pan.
- Line bottom with wax paper.
- Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Mix sugar and cocoa in large bowl.
- Add eggs, whisk until well blended.
- Whisk in chocolate-butter mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
- Release cake from pan.
- For Caramel Sauce, stir sugar, water and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat.
- Boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cream.
- Return to low heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add butter, whisk until smooth.
- Cut cake into wedges.
- If desired, arrange wedges on baking sheet and rewarm in 350 oven for 10 minutes.
- Rewarm caramel sauce over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Place warm cake on plate and drizzle with caramel.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.