Recipe by HeatherN
I got this from a wine tasting event: pairing wine with raw food. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this tasted!
Top Review by Janay
I wanted to like this but it was too bitter for my tastes. I did use a premium dark cocoa but to no avail. Perhaps if the cocoa was decreased, dates increased or some agave syrup added? It probably would taste a smidge better with lots and lots of red wine (smile).
- 3 cups walnuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 20 pitted dates (medjool dates)
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or 2⁄3 cup carob powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- raspberries, for garnish
- Place walnuts and salt in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add the dates, cocoa and vanilla and process until the mixture begins to stick together. Add the water and process briefly.
- Transfer to a serving plate and form into a 9-inch round cake. Decorate the cake and plate with fresh raspberries or top before serving, if desired. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cake will keep for three days in the refrigerator or for several weeks in the freezer. Bring to room temperature before serving.