Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
This is a yummy recipe I adapted for my son who is gluten-free. It's amazingly simple to make and always is a big hit. When using a double-boiler (I use a metal bowl on top of a pot) make sure the water in the pot doesn't touch the upper bowl or your chocolate will seize.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Cut a circle of wax paper to fit in the bottom of the pan and grease it as well.
- Chop chocolate and butter into small pieces. In a double boiler (or metal bowl set over a saucepan) slowly melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth.
- Remove from heat so that the bowl will cool. Mix in almond extract. Then add the sugar and whisk until smooth. Next add the eggs and whisk. Finally sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder and whisk until mixed.
- Pour the batter into pan and bake in middle of oven for about 22 minutes. Don't over cook! After the cake has cooled for 5 minutes, take it out of the pan, peel off the wax paper and sift the powdered sugar on top.