Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Surprisingly low in calories I got this recipe from a low cal cookbook pamphlet I picked up at the grocery store. Super easy and so good, it has been a family favorite for years. Also Gluten-free depending on the chocolate chips used. I also mix my chips up using semi-sweet and dark chocolate.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2 cups chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter (I use salted because there is no other salt in the recipe)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter and chips over low heat stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks and 5 TBS sugar in a small bowl.
- Add egg yolk/sugar mixture and vanilla to cooling chocolate and stir until combined.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and add remaining sugar slowly.
- Beat egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg white/sugar mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a greased 6" or 8" springform pan and bake for 40 - 45 min until cracks appear dry.