Recipe by viennagirl
I made this a while back for a friend's birthday. She can't have flour and loved this recipe so I gave it to her. I couldn't find this recipe on "Zaar" so had to go looking. I found it on "allrecipes" so thought we needed it here too! It is amazingly rich and deliciously smooth...melt in your mouth! Make sure you use a good quality chocolate since it calls for so much.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 18 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter (no substitutes!)
- 6 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Prehaeat over to 300 degrees F. Grease one 10" round cake pan (if using a springform pan wrap the outside of the pan with aluminum foil) and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- Either in the top half of a double-boiler or in a microwave oven, melt the bittersweet chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake the cake in the water bath at 300F for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with red raspberries and whipped cream for an amazing dessert!