Recipe by Sue Masters
Bon Appetit April 2002 featured this recipe from Echo Restaurant in Chicago's Bucktown neighborhood. You must prepare a day before serving. It is amazing!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- purchased chocolate syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spray 9 x 13 metal baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Line pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Cool chocolate mixture to lukewarm.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs in large bowl until frothy.
- Add sugar and beat until mixture is pale yellow in color and tripled in volume, about 7 minutes.
- Fold in lukewarm chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until firm to touch and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 35 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate uncovered overnight.
- Cut cake into 12 pieces; place on individual microwave-safe plates.
- Microwave each piece until just warmed through, about 20 seconds on high.
- Serve immediately with ice cream and chocolate sauce, if desired.