1/3 Photos of Flourless Chocolate Cake
1 hr 20 mins
A rich flourless chocolate cake that is also nut and gluten-free. For a gluten-free diet check the chocolate and cream is suitable. The cake can be varied by using different liqueurs in place of the brandy- Cointreau, Frangelico, Kahlua, Grand Marnier or Tia Maria. Can also use espresso coffee instead of the alcohol or just leave out the tablespoon of alcohol altogether. Serve with extra cream and strawberries or simpley serve dusted with extra icing sugar/superfine sugar . We have a man that sells books that leaves a collection of books each fortnight where I work. This recipe was from one of these books and was selected by a workmate as being suitable for my gluten-free diet. I baked it and took it to work to share with everyone. It was a hit with everyone :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (95g)
- 400 g dark chocolate (use a quality chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 300 ml double heavy cream (Australian double thick cream)
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting
- 16 strawberries, to serve
- extra heavy cream or whipped cream, for serving
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F Grease well a 22cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper. This cake is best cooked in a tin that has a removable base as it is much easier to remove from the tin for serving.
- 2Place the sugar and eggs in a bowl, beat together for 10 minutes, or until creamy, using a stand mixer/electric beaters.
- 3Meanwhile, chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and then remove it from the heat. Sit the bowl of chocolate over the saucepan of water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom or sides of the bowl. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted.
- 4Add the brandy, cinnamon and chocolate to the beaten egg mixture.
- 5Lightly fold in the double thick cream to the mixture.
- 6Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for one hour, or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin.
- 7Run a knife carefully around the edges of the cake before removing from the tin. Dust with icing sugar to serve and serve with a dollop of cream and a strawberry.
- 8NOTE: This is a very moist thick cake. It will sink a little in the middle as it cools.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.9
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 95.2 mg
- Sodium 41.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 6.0 g