I get weekly emails from America's Test Kitchen from PBS and they have some wonderful recipes, tips, and even videos in them. This was on a video they sent in one of my emails. I have not tried it yet, but plan to make it for my daughter's birthday. They said that the end result will be more like a cheesecake, as you eat it very chilled! The time to make in not including the chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a KitchenAid or other stand mixer, crack all eight eggs into the bowl and beat on med/low for about five to six minutes. The eggs should look like a thin "soup", not a meringue.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the chocolate chunks and the two sticks of butter and wrap plastic wrap on top.
- 3In a large pot, heat three cups of water to almost a boil and lay the bowl on top of the pot. This is called a double boiler. Melt the chocolate and butter together until completely melted. This should take about 5 minutes or so. You could also melt the chocolate and butter together in a microwave, but this what they showed on the video.
- 4Remove the bowl from the pot and allow to sit for about one to two minutes.
- 5Add the eggs, about a third of them, to the melted chocolate mixture and using a wire whisk, slowly fold in the eggs until completely incorperated. Continue to fold the eggs in two more incorperations, again slowly folding in the eggs.
- 6Using an 8 inch springform pan (this is the pan where the bottom pops out), pour the batter into pan, sprayed well with some vegetable spray.
- 7Wrap the pan in aluminum foil. In a large baking pan, add hot water to the pan, about halfway full. Lay the springform pan into the hot water. This is called a "Water Bath".
- 8Bake 325 degrees for 20-23 minutes. It will kind of shake and resemble more of a custard.
- 9If you have a kitchen thermometor, the temp should be no more than 140 degrees, which if any hotter will make the eggs curdle.
- 10Using a kitchen towel, Remove the springform pan from the water bath and lay on a cooling rack for at least two hours. Once the cake has come to room temp., chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- 11This is will be a very rich, decadent cake, so you only need to slice very small slices to serve. Hope you enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.9
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 272.5 mg
- Sodium 233.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.5 g