Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I get weekly emails from America's Test Kitchen from PBS and they have some wonderful recipes, tips, and even videos in them. This was on a video they sent in one of my emails. I have not tried it yet, but plan to make it for my daughter's birthday. They said that the end result will be more like a cheesecake, as you eat it very chilled! The time to make in not including the chilling time.
- In a KitchenAid or other stand mixer, crack all eight eggs into the bowl and beat on med/low for about five to six minutes. The eggs should look like a thin "soup", not a meringue.
- In a large bowl, combine the chocolate chunks and the two sticks of butter and wrap plastic wrap on top.
- In a large pot, heat three cups of water to almost a boil and lay the bowl on top of the pot. This is called a double boiler. Melt the chocolate and butter together until completely melted. This should take about 5 minutes or so. You could also melt the chocolate and butter together in a microwave, but this what they showed on the video.
- Remove the bowl from the pot and allow to sit for about one to two minutes.
- Add the eggs, about a third of them, to the melted chocolate mixture and using a wire whisk, slowly fold in the eggs until completely incorperated. Continue to fold the eggs in two more incorperations, again slowly folding in the eggs.
- Using an 8 inch springform pan (this is the pan where the bottom pops out), pour the batter into pan, sprayed well with some vegetable spray.
- Wrap the pan in aluminum foil. In a large baking pan, add hot water to the pan, about halfway full. Lay the springform pan into the hot water. This is called a "Water Bath".
- Bake 325 degrees for 20-23 minutes. It will kind of shake and resemble more of a custard.
- If you have a kitchen thermometor, the temp should be no more than 140 degrees, which if any hotter will make the eggs curdle.
- Using a kitchen towel, Remove the springform pan from the water bath and lay on a cooling rack for at least two hours. Once the cake has come to room temp., chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- This is will be a very rich, decadent cake, so you only need to slice very small slices to serve. Hope you enjoy!