Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This delicious chocolate cake is flavored with Frangelico. Cooking time does not include allowing the cake to refrigerate overnight before serving. Posted for ZWT 2006.
- 1 lb dark chocolate, chopped (use a good quality chocolate)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico or 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- icing sugar, to dust
- heavy cream, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees. Grease a deep 8" round cake pan and line the base with parchment paper.
- Half-fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place the bowl over the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until completely melted.
- Put the eggs in a heatproof bowl. Add the Frangelico. Place the bowl over a pan of just simering water on low heat, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high for 7 minutes, or until light and foamy. Remove from heat.
- Use a metal spoon to quickly and lightly fold the chocolate and nuts into the egg mixture until just combined. Fold in the cream and pour into the cake pan.
- Place the cake pan in a shallow roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until just set.
- Remove cake pan from the roasting pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Invert the cake onto a plate and remove the parchment paper. Cut cake into slices. Lightly dust each slice with confectioners sugar and serve with thick cream, if desired.