1/1 Photo of Flourless Apple-Caramel Cake (5 - Hour Cook Time)
5 hrs 30 mins
Tia Mouse's Note:
This apple-caramel cake is worth every minute of the 5 hour bake time. Don't try to shorten it, the Granny Smiths need all the time to work their magic! This recipe comes from Take home Chef (TLC). Thanks, Curtis!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice all peeled and cored apples thinly. (Not PAPER thin, though.) Keep each apple’s quantity separated for assembly.
- 2In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 cup of sugar and the water to a simmer, scraping the sides down to dissolve all sugar granules.
- 3Simmer the syrup for 8 minutes, swirling the pan (don’t stir!) and wiping down the sides to ensure even browning.
- 4Pour caramel into a 2-quart ceramic soufflé pan (or the like), swirling the caramel around the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
- 5Allow the caramel to cool, and harden, in the dish for 10 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 250.
- 7Arrange a layer of apples on the caramel in overlapping circles, using one apple’s quantity.
- 8Sprinkle this layer with 1 teaspoon of sugar and some orange zest.
- 9Repeat apple, sugar/zest layering for all 10 layers. They will overflow the pan. This is okay . NOTE: Assembling each layer/circle in the opposite direction will make the cake more stable when slicing and plating.
- 10Place the foil covered pan into a bano maria. (A roasting pan filled with water to halfway up the sides of the cake pan.).
- 11Bake 5 hours. A skewer inserted should come out clean.
- 12Allow the cake to cool completely, then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 13Loosen the cake from the pan by warming it in hot water before placing the serving plate over the top and inverting the cake.
- 14Serve by cutting into 6-8 wedges and plating each with orange segments and whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Apple-Caramel Cake (5 - Hour Cook Time)
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.3
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 75.8 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of