Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Sister Angela's Convento de la Purisma Concepcion de Penaranda de Duero
- 9 ounces almonds, unpeeled
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 eggs
- 9 ounces powdered sugar
- Blanch almonds the night before by dropping in boiling water and then plunging in cold water to remove the skins.
- Let the almonds soak in cold water overnight - dry with a towel.
- Blanch the zests.
- Grind almonds in food processor - gradually add the zests.
- Preheat over to 450.
- Grease spring form pan (13" diameter) with butter and dust with flour.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar and remaining almonds.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool on rack.