Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons lard or 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Make a well in the center and add water, a small amount at a time, to form a dough.
- Knead dough in bowl until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and set aside for ten minutes.
- Form dough into egg-sized balls and flatten between palms.
- With rolling pin, roll each ball into a 6 inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cook on preheated ungreased skillet over medium high heat, apprx. two min.
- per side, until tortilla looks slightly speckled.
- Cover with a clean towel to keep warm and soft until served.
- The tortillas may be cooled and stored in plastic bags in the freezer for later use.