1/6 Photos of Flour Tortillas Diaz
This recipe is based on an article in the San Jose Mercury News by Stacy Diaz. I tried it and didn't need near as much water as the recipe indicated. The dough should not be sticky. This recipe is healthier since it uses oil instead of shortening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the dry ingredients.
- 2Add oil and mix with hands.
- 3Mixing with your hands, add water a little at a time, until you get a soft dough.
- 4You should be able to mix in all the dry ingredients, but the dough shouldn't be sticky.
- 5(You can add in more flour if you add too much water.) On a floured surface, knead the dough for 2- 4 minutes, adding flour if the dough is sticky.
- 6Form dough into a ball, cover with towel and place upside down bowl over dough.
- 7Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
- 8NOTE: the dough will not rise, this just rests the gluten.
- 9Heat ungreased griddle to medium-high.
- 10Break off golf-ball sized pieces of dough and flatten into 5 inch circles.
- 11On a floured surface roll out tortillas using a back and forth motion, turning the tortilla 1/4 turn after each roll.
- 12Flip the tortilla at least once.
- 13Place tortilla on hot griddle and cook till bubbles rise (20-25 seconds).
- 14Flip and cook on the other side 20-25 seconds.
- 15Finished tortillas will be speckled with brown.
- 16Place cooked tortilla in a bowl covered and lined with a towels.
- 17NOTE: When you get good you should be able to roll out a tortilla while one on the griddle cooks.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flour Tortillas Diaz
Serving Size: 1 (920 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 383.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g