Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
There is nothing like the taste of a warm homemade tortilla!
Make and share this Flour Tortillas recipe from Food.com.
- Sift flour into large bowl.
- Add shortening and rub with fingertips until consistency of coarse meal.
- Dissolve salt in warm water and add to flour in steady stream, using fingertips to blend.
- Knead in bowl until dough forms ball.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead about 3 mins; dough will not be smooth.
- Cover with a towel and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Knead dough on work surface about 1 minute.
- Cover and let rest at room temp for 10 minutes.
- Pinch off dough in 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Roll on lightly floured surface into 7-inch circle (roll outward from center but do not get edges too thin).
- Stack between pieces of wax paper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over med-high heat.
- Cook tortilla, turning occasionally until light brown spots appear on the surface, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer tortillas to a plate and cover with cloth napkin or towel to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Just before serving, wrap tortillas in foil and reheat in a 250 degree oven or steamer about 5 mins.
Tasted great and made great tortillas.
Love this recipe. I had never made homemade tortillas before. This is the only one I will use. Everyone loves them.
Wanted tortillas but not a trip to town so found this and decided to try my luck. Oh my, so glad I did and will probably NEVER buy ready made again. The directions are clear, easy to follow and the results are awesome. FIVE star all the way. We had these for breakfast with eggs scrambled with chorizo sausage, a little sour cream and fresh salsa and hot coffee YUM!!! I did have trouble making them pretty and round but who cares they tasted great. DH was soooo impressed with me - thanks Renee for making me look so great.