1/2 Photos of Flour Tortillas
1 hr 5 mins
Renee Ferraz's Note:
There is nothing like the taste of a warm homemade tortilla!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour into large bowl.
- 2Add shortening and rub with fingertips until consistency of coarse meal.
- 3Dissolve salt in warm water and add to flour in steady stream, using fingertips to blend.
- 4Knead in bowl until dough forms ball.
- 5Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead about 3 mins; dough will not be smooth.
- 6Cover with a towel and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 7Knead dough on work surface about 1 minute.
- 8Cover and let rest at room temp for 10 minutes.
- 9Pinch off dough in 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- 10Roll on lightly floured surface into 7-inch circle (roll outward from center but do not get edges too thin).
- 11Stack between pieces of wax paper.
- 12Heat a cast iron skillet over med-high heat.
- 13Cook tortilla, turning occasionally until light brown spots appear on the surface, about 2 minutes.
- 14Transfer tortillas to a plate and cover with cloth napkin or towel to keep warm.
- 15Repeat with remaining dough.
- 16Just before serving, wrap tortillas in foil and reheat in a 250 degree oven or steamer about 5 mins.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 233.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.5 g