1/3 Photos of Flour Tortillas
These turn out great I make about sixty at a time and freeze.
My Private Note
"9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 2Gradually stir in enough warm water to form a crumbly dough; then work dough with your hands until it holds together.
- 3Turn out onto a board and knead until smooth.
- 4Divide into 12 pieces and shape each into a smooth ball.
- 5Cover lightly with plastic film and let rest about 15 minutes.
- 6For each tortilla, flatten one ball into a 4 or 5-inch patty, then roll into a 9-inch round, rolling from center to edges.
- 7Turn tortilla often, stretching dough as you carefully peel it off board.
- 8Make sure these are paper thin, the thinner, the better!
- 9As each tortilla is shaped, place on preheated, dry, heavy griddle or heavy wide frying pan over medium-high heat.
- 10On a preheated electric griddle set at medium-high heat or about 375 degrees.
- 11Almost immediately, tiny blisters should appear.
- 12Turn tortilla and immediately start pressing a wide spatula directly on top of it-- press gently but firmly all over the top.
- 13Blisters will form over most of surface as you press.
- 14Turn tortilla and press all over other side until bilsters turn a golden brown; tortilla should remain soft.
- 15If tortillas stick or brown too quickly, reduce heat.
- 16Stack tortillas as cooked inside a folded cloth towel within a plastic bag; close bag and let tortillas steam and soften until all are cooked.
- 17Serve tortillas as soon as they are soft; or cool, remove from bag, wrap in foil, and refrigerate or freeze.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 207.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g