My son has been making tortillas for several years. This is his 'tweaked' Joy of Cooking recipe. So much better than store bought tortillas!
- Add flour, salt, shortening (or coconut oil) and honey to food processor or mixer with dough hook.
- Gradually add water while processing.
- Mix until smooth ball is formed.
- Set aside and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Form dough into 8-10 balls, cover and allow to rest 20 minutes.
- Roll on lightly floured surface into 7-inch circle or use tortilla maker.
- Stack between wax paper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over med-high heat.
- Cook tortilla, turning occasionally until light brown spots appear on the surface, about 2 minutes.
- Stack tortillas on plate and cover with kitchen towel until ready to serve.