Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
SO much better than store-bought!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add oil.
- Add water.
- Let stand 10 minutes covered.
- Divide into 12 equal balls and cover with plastic.
- Roll out and cook on griddle (no oil).
- When each is done, stack inside dish towels to steam.
- Finish the other eleven and let stand in towels five minutes until soft.
My family loves these tortillas. It's easy and quick to prepare. How tricky part was how to judge 'when each is done.' I found out to only cook it for about 30 secs to 1 min on each side...just enough so their not doughy. Thanks for the recipe.
These are very very easy and very good. I did change a bit though. First I used 1/2 Whole Wheat Flour and 1/2 Unbleached Flour. Next I used 1/2 the salt only 1 tsp. Then ditched the shortening and used coconut oil for a healthy boost. I used my hottest tap water for the warm water and it worked perfect. Oh, and it is easy to double the recipe too.