Recipe by javagirl81
You can put almost anything inside of a tortilla. From breakfast,to lunch, to dinner,you'll be amazed with how many ways you will be able to use them! Use your imagination, and have some fun!
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- For ultimate ease, use your food processer for this recipe.
- 1:Using a food processer or a pastry blender,(*or a fork if you don't have anything else listed)mix the flour, shortening, salt and baking powder in a large bowl until it looks like fine meal.
- 2:Add a small amount of water at a time, mixing well until a dough forms.
- 3:Knead until it is smooth and elastic, divide into 12 even pieces, roll into balls,cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest 30 minutes.
- 4:Roll out on a lightly floured surface, as thin as you can get them(6-7in. in diameter).Preheat a 10in. cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5:Cook about 45 seconds on each side until golden(**SEE NOTE***).Place on a plate lined with a damp (CLEAN) towel in the oven until you are finished cooking all of your tortillas. Cover with another damp towel.
- ***When cooking tortillas, they puff up-A LOT! Don't be scared, they'll deflate as they cool,and they are stacked on top of eachother.You also could poke small holes in the bubbles as they form while cooking using a toothpick.***.