1/7 Photos of Flour Tortilla Recipe
Recipe for making flour tortillas from Thibeault's Table. Credit to Ann from the gardenweb internet addy as the majority of this receipe comes from her post: http:// ths.gardenweb.com/ forums/ load/recipex/ msg0611460316237.html?7 I like this easy recipe for tortillas that uses staples usually on hand. I am battling cancer and cannot eat yeast or sugar, so tortillas are a great alternative to bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour (you can get creative with your flour choices like whole wheat, spelt, soy, or a mixture of flours)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup warm water (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup) or 1/2 cup milk (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup)
- 1Sift the flour, salt & baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Into the dry ingredients cut in the shortening, or add oil if you are using this option, & mix with your fingertips to combine.
- 3Add the milk or water, working the liquid into the dough until a sticky ball forms.
- 4Wrap in plastic and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Divide the dough into 8-10 balls (for small tortillas) or 6-8 balls for larger ones, cover them again with the damp cloth.
- 6Lightly dust a counter or pastry board w/flour & roll out each ball of dough into a circle or oval approximately 1/4" thick. If you want nicely rounded tortillas, trim off any ragged edges & discard. Don't roll the dough out more than once or the tortillas will be tough.
- 7Heat a dry griddle or heavy skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Cook the tortillas 30 seconds on each side or until the dough looks dry & slightly wrinkled & a few brown spots form on both surfaces. Do not over cook or they will be hard. Butter and roll up and wrap in damp tea towel to keep warm as you cook the other tortillas.
- 8(I place cooked ones wrapped in the damp towel in a low 200 oven to keep warm, while I am cooking the rest.) Serve warm.~~.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flour Tortilla Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.5
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 255.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g