Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
aka 'Bundner Mehlsuppe'. Published by the Chur Chapter of the Swiss Womens' Institutes. submitted for ZWT7.
- 4 tablespoons fat (butter or lard)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the fat. Add the flour and stir constantly over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the water and stir until the bubbling stops, and lower the heat.
- Then add the salt and bouillon and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Finish by stirring in the milk or cream. You can then stir the grated cheese into the soup, or, if you prefer, serve it alongside.