1/2 Photos of Flour Frosting (Red Velvet Cake Frosting)
Although the title "Flour Frosting" doesn't sound very appetizing, this frosting is very good. It is fluffy with a slight hint of dairy from the milk and is not over-sweet. This is apparently a classic frosting for red velvet cake, but since it only has 1 cup of sugar in it (and it makes plenty to frost 24 cupcakes) it is also a great option for children's birthday parties. This comes out a very light creamy color, but can be easily tinted with gel or paste food coloring. I found this recipe on a blog: Obsessed with Baking. If you don't have vanilla sugar, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract when you add the butter. If you refrigerate this frosting be sure to bring it to room temperature before serving or, like Swiss Meringue Butter Cream, the texture can be a little stiff. If you refrigerate it prior to frosting your cake and it seperates as it warms, just whip it back up for a few minutes in your mixer and it will be good to go.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a saucepan until combined. Add the milk and cook over medium heat until it barely simmers (bubbles around the edge of the pan), whisking constantly. It will thicken slightly.
- 2Pour mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high until the outside of the bowl is cool to the touch (about 8-10 minutes).
- 3Reduce the speed to low and add the butter (and vanilla extract if you are using it). Once the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and whip until the frosting is light and fluffy (about another 3-5 minutes), scraping down as needed.
- 4If you are tinting your frosting, add the coloring and continue to whip until the color is evenly distributed.
- 5Use immediately to frost a two-layer cake, or 24 cupcakes.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flour Frosting (Red Velvet Cake Frosting)
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.0
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.7 mg
- Sodium 84.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: