A great light frosting that is less sweet than the traditional buttercream frostings.
Make and share this Flour Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- In a small saucepan blend flour and milk.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture bubbles.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugar with a mixer until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and salt, blending well.
- On medium speed beat in cooled flour mixture in small portions (teaspoonful at a time), beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until light and fluffy.
This is the BEST frosting! I use butter instead of margarine (with any recipe I do that) and the recipe may sound a bit odd, but it is absolutely worth it and doesn't taste odd at all! It is especially good with rich, dark chocolate cake. It is a bit more work than traditional home-made frostings but everyone loves it the best! Tasting is believing :)~
We really enjoy this frosting on chocolate cake. I use butter and natural shortening (Spectrum brand) and get good results. Just keep beating--the sugar does not stay grainy!
This frosting is fab! The first time I made it the flour/milk mixture clumped and no matter what I couldnt get it to be the right consistency. Instead of using the stove top, I heated the milk for appr 2 mins, then GRADUALLY wisked the flour in, REFRIDGERATED the mixture until completely cooled, THEN added it gradually as directed. If you do this its delish!