Recipe by 2Bleu
I created this recipe that is great served with rice pilaf and steamed vegetables. While this recipe is shown for 4 servings, it is easily halved for two servings, or doubled or tripled, etc. for larger gatherings.
Top Review by norajm
I have made this four times with great success. Absolutely delicious. I use all lump crab with no shrimp. I use the stacking method and don't roll. Served it to friends for dinner and it was requested again. Highly recommended!!!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 4 ounces shrimp, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, to taste or 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 ounces lump crabmeat (or more if desired)
- 3 -4 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, more as needed
- 1 lb flounder (8 large fillets)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and peppers. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted.
- Add the shrimp and season with salt and Old Bay (to taste). Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and place mixture into a bowl. Gently stir in the crabmeat, then the bread crumbs a little at a time, adding more as needed to gently bind. Set aside to cool.
- Place equal amounts of filling onto each fillet and roll up. (alternatively, you can place one fillet on the baking sheet, place filling atop the fillet, then place another on top, off to the side, to resemble a pocket of stuffing).
- Place the fish on a baking dish (seam side down if rolled). Drizzle the fish with the butter and sprinkle with lemon juice. Sprinkle top of fish with salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until fish is cooked thru. Remove the fish from the oven and serve with lemon wedges.