From the back of the pinto bean can, these have great flavor and are easy to make for a quick week night dinner. While we like these burritos as written (though I add more green chilies), you can spice these up by adding 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper, 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or minced ancho chilies, depending on your preference. These burritos are also good with black beans, or a mix of both black and pinto beans.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) canorganic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilies, chopped (I use the whole small can)
- 1 tablespoon dried chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheese (jack, pepper jack, cheddar or a mixture)
- 1 cup prepared organic salsa
- 8 large organic whole grain soft tortillas
- canola cooking spray (for casserole dish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add beans, chilies and seasonings. Mix and mash the beans somewhat to the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat; spread beans, cheese and salsa in the middle of each tortilla. (I use about 2/3 cup beans and about 1/4 cup cheese per tortilla so they roll up nicely).
- Roll up tortillas and place in 7 x 11 or 9 x 13 ovenproof casserole dish, lightly sprayed with oil.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Serve.
- NOTE: I put additional salsa and cheese on top before baking ~ we like our burritos extra cheesy!