Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
An adaptation from an old (1998) Eating Well recipe -- very quick to make and very tasty. Add some toasted Parmesan cheese bread and a green salad and you've got a very tasty dinner.
- 1 (14 ounce) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained (do not rinse)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups organic chicken broth
- kosher sea salt, to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- fat-free garlic & cheese crouton, to garnish
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and saute until translucent and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Puree artichokes, cannellini beans, sauteed garlic and onion in food processor until smooth. (I had to use my blender, so I added some of the chicken broth at this point!).
- Add pureed mixture to saucepan, add remainder of chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper and heat through.
- Check seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve with croutons to garnish.
I really enjoyed this although I used an artichoke salsa in place of the canned artichoke hearts. The salsa had tomato and various things in it so, of course, it had a flavor that differed from the original recipe. After a sample I added a splash of white vinegar and some salt which gave more of a marinated artichoke-ness. It's very simple to make and a great change from the everyday bean soup. I didn't have the croutons to add but they would be a perfect touch. Made for "Partying The Diabetic Way*
Very simple prep. It comes together quickly and has a very interesting flavor. I followed the recipe to the letter and was rewarded with a yummy, soul warming soup.