Recipe by FloridaNative
The original recipe for this soup was from Cooking Light Annual Recipes (1996). I adjusted it to suit our tastes. It's been a while since I made this particular soup, but I remember the first time I made it, I added some lean ground beef (we ate more meat then) and mixed up the spices a bit. It's a nice mixture and you can really adjust to your taste without fear. Serve with some warm crusty bread.
Top Review by Diana #2
What a *GREAT* soup. It's so simple to make with ingredients you probably already have. I used Three Cheese-Rainbow Tortellini, and pink kidney beans. So filling too. I tasted the soup shortly after adding the balsamic vinegar, and wasn't really pleased with the taste. After it sat for a few hours (I made it shortly after lunch) I served it for supper. Well......I highly suggest making it ahead of time. The flavours blended nicely and was very smooth and comforting. What a treat it turned out to be. Thanks Floridanative for a fantastic soup. One that will be made many times. Made for: Soup is On! ~ Jan 2010 - Diabetic Forum
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 cups prepared low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (9 ounce) packageuncooked cheese tortellini
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and saute onion until soft. Do not brown.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and cook 6 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in beans and tomatoes. Add basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls. Sprinkle evenly with parmesan cheese and top with additional fresh ground pepper.