A fresh and crispy seafood salad; perfect as appetizer. Use your own preferred salad dressing or make a citrus vinaigrette with olive oil as well as lemon, lime and grapfruit juices. Enjoy with crusty bread and a glass of Prosecco!
- 1 (8 ounce) package imitation crabmeat
- mixed salad green
- 1 large grapefruit, divided in sections
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit juice
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 shallots or 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 15 -20 black olives
- 2 teaspoons capers in brine (optional)
- salad dressing, of choice
- Tear the crab meat into strands with two forks. Put 2 -3 tbsps of mayo (or to taste) into a salad bowl. Add the grated ginger, red pepper flakes and a dash of ground allspice. Add the crab meat and grapefruit juice and stir to combine. Refrigerate until required.
- Lay out 4 salad plates with salad greens. Top with tomato slices and cucumber slices; English cucumbers don’t need to be peeled but do peel if preferred. Add the grapefruit segments, cut shallots or spring onions into fine rings and add to salad. Lightly salt the tomatoes and cuces, careful if you are using capers. Divide olives and capers, if using, scatter on top.
- Drizzle salad dressing of your choice over each plate, I used a home made citrus vinaigrette.
- Remove the crab salat from the fridge, divide into 4 portions and mound on top of each plate, serve at once. Enjoy!
Good, next time I will use sour cream or yogurt instead of mayo (personal choice) This would be a neat salad served inside the tomato, using it as a bowl. If I did that I would probably serve the cucumbers on the side or dice them and mix them in the salad. Oh and it was fine without any salad dressing.