1/1 Photo of Florida Native Mexican Buffalo Chili With Monterey Jack Nachos
1 hr 10 mins
I LOVE this recipe adaptation from the book "The Complete Book of 400 Soups". It's our favorite pinto bean chili, served with crispy blue tortilla chips and shredded monterey jack cheese on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground buffalo
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chilies, seeded and finely chopped or 1 (6 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree (paste)
- 3 3/4 cups beef stock
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) bag blue corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1Heat oil in large pan over a medium heat and cook ground buffalo until very lightly browned. (Buffalo cooks faster than beef and has less fat, be careful not to overcook).
- 2Reduce the heat and add onions, garlic and chilies. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until peppers and onions are tender.
- 3Add the chili powder and ground cumin, and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in the bay leaves, tomato puree, and beef stock. Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- 5Put a quarter of the beans into a bowl and mash with a potato masher. Stir these into the soup to thicken it slightly.
- 6Add the remaining beans and simmer for about 5 minutes. Season and stir in the chopped cilantro leaves.
- 7Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- 8To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and spoon tortilla chips on top. Pile grated chees over the tortilla chips and serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Florida Native Mexican Buffalo Chili With Monterey Jack Nachos
Serving Size: 1 (1042 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1735.7
- Calories from Fat 701
- Total Fat 77.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.8 g
- Cholesterol 253.6 mg
- Sodium 1845.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 146.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 38.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 117.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
blue corn tortilla chips