Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A wonderful summer pie...tart and creamy...wonderful for a summer picnic..I changed this one around from a a lemonade pie and my family prefers this to the lemon version. Cooking time includes chilling time
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin (one envelope)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed and undiluted
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, whipped and divided
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- Combine egg yolks, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler;bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low;cook, stirring constantly, until temperature of mixture reaches 160 degrees (about 20 minutes); remove mixture from heat and set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a small saucepan;stir and let stand one minute; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves.
- Stir gelatin mixture and limeade concentrate into yolk mixture; chill until the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Fold two thirds of whipped cream into chilled mixture; spoon into pie shell.
- Chill at least four hours; garnish with remaining whipped cream.