Recipe by Pets'R'us
An adopted recipe from the RecipeZaar account. I did not make any changes to the recipe that is posted, but I do use approx 2 tablespoons more lime juice when I make it...just because I love the sharp lime flavor. Please taste the mix first before you add more lime juice.
Top Review by Frau Frau
This did not turn out well for me. The fault may be with my limes being too old, perhaps, but the taste was very bitter. I love Key Lime pies, but this was very disappointing. I never throw away food, particularly dessert LOL, but I actually threw this away. Too bad, since it had lots of lovely whipped cream in it! I used key limes, I didn't zest too far (I don't think), and just used the 1/2 c. of lime juice. My limes were about a week old, but still soft and juicy. I tried adding a sprinkling of sugar... I tried eating it with plenty of whipped cream... I couldn't find a way to salvage it. The crust was yummy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, Freshly squeezed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime peel, Coarsely grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 small lime, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare crust: Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In 9" pie plate combine graham cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons sugar;stir in butter until blended.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly over bottom and sides of pie plate; bake 10 minutes until browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare filling: In top of double boiler using wire whisk,beat egg yolks,lime juice,1/3 cup sugar and salt until well blended.
- Set over simmering water;cook about 5 minutes,stirring constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat back of metal spoon.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoons grated lime peel.
- Refrigerate mixture about 45 minutes until cool.
- Meanwhile,in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed,beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Set 1 cup whipped cream aside for garnish;fold cooled lime mixture into remaining cream.
- Spoon filling into prepared crust;refrigerate at least 2 hours until set.
- To serve: Spoon remaining whipped cream decoratively over top of pie; sprinkle cream with remaining 1 tablespoons lime peel.
- Garnish with lime slices,if desired.