Cook2 hrs 45 mins
An adopted recipe from the RecipeZaar account. I did not make any changes to the recipe that is posted, but I do use approx 2 tablespoons more lime juice when I make it...just because I love the sharp lime flavor. Please taste the mix first before you add more lime juice.
- Prepare crust: Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In 9" pie plate combine graham cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons sugar;stir in butter until blended.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly over bottom and sides of pie plate; bake 10 minutes until browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare filling: In top of double boiler using wire whisk,beat egg yolks,lime juice,1/3 cup sugar and salt until well blended.
- Set over simmering water;cook about 5 minutes,stirring constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat back of metal spoon.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoons grated lime peel.
- Refrigerate mixture about 45 minutes until cool.
- Meanwhile,in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed,beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Set 1 cup whipped cream aside for garnish;fold cooled lime mixture into remaining cream.
- Spoon filling into prepared crust;refrigerate at least 2 hours until set.
- To serve: Spoon remaining whipped cream decoratively over top of pie; sprinkle cream with remaining 1 tablespoons lime peel.
- Garnish with lime slices,if desired.