Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 mins
In 'The Glory of Southern Cooking' by James Villas
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage and flaked
- vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper to.
- taste; stir until well blended.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cheese, buttermilk, and lime juice; stir until well blended.
- Add to the dry ingredients; stir until the batter is well blended and smooth; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add the corn, bell pepper, and scallions andcook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and crabmeat to the batter, stir gently with a fork until well mixed, and form the mixture into 6 oval patties.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat about 1/4-inch of oil over med-high heat; cook the patties about 3 minutes on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.