Recipe by Barb G.
These are a very easy to make, great christmas cookie. Chocolate is sandwiched between the florentines,Yummy. The recipe is courtsey from Glada De Laurentis and the food network.
Top Review by AMyersATX
Made these last night and did not have good luck. Recipe is missing cook time and suggestions for spacing of cookies on sheet prior to baking. All I ended up with was a huge mass of crisy goodness. Delicious, but un-useable for intended purpose. I'm wondering if maybe this either needs a bit more flour or something different. Will be interested in seeing other's reviews if they try this recipe.
- 2 cups sliced almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (i stick( cut into pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Position the rack in the center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silpat(silicone baking mat).
- Stir the chopped almonds, flour and zest in a medium bowl.
- Stir the sugar, butter, cream, and honey in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves; Bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove the pan from heat; Stir in almond mixture; COOL the batter for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bake the cookies until they are LACY and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Gently slide the parchment paper onto a rack to cool compelety; transfer the cookies to paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining batter, lining with clean parachment paper or baking mat.
- Note: the cookies can be made up to this point 2 months ahead, cool compelety, then store airtight in freezer, defrost before continuing.
- Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until chocolate melts or melt carefully in microwave.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the bottom of 1 cookie, top with a second cookie, bottom side down, pressing lightly to adhere; repeat with remaining cookies and chocolate, enjoy.