Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My husband Mike makes these fabulous flat (no-flour) Italian cookies every year for the holidays, and they're absolutely heavenly! These cookies are an excellent addition to food gifts, as they will keep for a long time. Silpat baking sheets are very helpful when making these little gems.
- Finely chop walnuts, almonds, raisins, orange and lemon peel, cherries, and ginger.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add sugar and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute without stirring (until just turning light golden).
- Remove from heat and mix well with cream and fruit-nut mixture.
- Spoon heaped teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet (if you have a Silpat, use it!), leaving plenty of space for spreading- try only doing four at a time until you see how large they spread.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute before carefully removing with spatula.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave and spread thinly on flat side of cookies.
I love these! I had these once a couple of years ago and was delighted to see the recipe. Very wonderful and a great change from the usual Christmas cookies! I will be keeping this recipe for certain! Thank you for posting.