Recipe by mielhollinger
These luxury cookies are popular at any time of the year, but make particulatly wonderful treats at Christmas.
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped mixed peel
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, chopped
- 2 tablespoons candied cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 finely grated lemon, rind of
- 4 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- Heat the butter and superfine sugar in a small saucepan until the butter has just melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Stir in the chopped almonds, mixed peel, raisins, cherries, and lemon peel.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- As soon as the florentines are removed from the oven, press the edges into neat shapes while still on the cooking sheet, using a round cookie cutter.
- Leave to cool on the cookie skeets until firm, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the smooth side of each florentine.
- As the chocolate begins to set, mark wavy lines in it with a fork.
- Leave the florentines until set, chocolate side up.
- Variation: Replace the semisweet chocolate with white chocolate.
- For a dramatic effect, cover half of the florentines in dark chocolate and half in white chocolate.