Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the Horn of the Moon cookbook. These go quick! Use the extra stuffing on toasted baguette.
- 24 large mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped spinach (frozen will work, but won't be as good)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Pull stems out of mushrooms and lay caps on cookie sheet that has been oiled with 1 tbls olive oil.
- Chop the stems very finely and set aside.
- Preheat frying pan on medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt.
- Add onions, thyme and garlic. When onions begin to brown, add chopped mushroom stems, spinach, and breadcrumbs.
- Continue to cook until tender and moisture has been absorbed. Remove form heat.
- Add Parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir in well.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with filling.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot. (These are yucky cold!).
Yum! These look absolutely beautiful and the taste doesn't disappoint. I used frozen spinach and chopped everything in the food processor so it would be nice and uniform and easier to stuff the mushrooms with. I did end up with a *lot* of leftover stuffing, but it's okay because I might try it in an omelet or spinach dip later. I made these just for myself because I'm trying to eat more spinach for health reasons but these would be wonderful for company as they are restaurant quality food. Thanks for a keeper -- this recipe's a star!