Recipe by Canuck Mum
The saffron is what got my attention. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I would put it here for safe keeping. Originally from the art of cooking web site.
- 1 cup plain white flour (sifted)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 orange, rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Put the sifted flour, baking powder, oil, milk, grated orange rind, saffron, sugar, eggs, and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl and beat together thoroughly until all the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth and thick.
- Grease a shallow rectangular baking pan and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for half an hour.
- Sprinkle plenty of icing sugar on top.
- If you prefer it sweeter, you can slice the cake in two (horizontally!) and fill it with whatever you like (whipped cream, chocolate icing, etc).