Recipe by I'mPat
Hopefully will have red cabbage to reap from the garden soon so looking out for recipes so I am saving this one here, from Australian Delicious. Times estimated. Please note french trimmed is were the fat is scraped off to expose the bone and sort of becoming a handle, great in smaller cuts of meats such as lamb as an appertizer. Have not included marinating time and within the cooking time you are cooking the cabbage while te pork is in the oven and overall times are estimated.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Ooh baby!!! This comes together really quickly & is easy to multitask. These potatoes are fantastic; I made them again tonight. dh could not believe it was only evoo, s&p! the cabbage was perfect. my chops were boneless but perfect nonetheless. A fantastic meal - thank you! Made for Aussie Swap 10/13.
- 4 pork cutlets (about 230 grams each french trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (crushed dried)
- 2 garlic cloves (large and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (leaves.finely chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (80ml)
- 6 potatoes (dutch cream or desiree, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces)
Spiced Red Cabbage
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion (halbed and thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 apples (green, peeled, cored, sliced into 1.5cm wedges)
- 1⁄2 red cabbage (450 grams shredded)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (60ml)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly score cutlets diagonally across on both sides to form a diamond pattern (this allows the marinade to penetrate).
- Combine the crushed fennel seeds, chilli, garlic, rosemary, 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add pork, turning to coat and marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes or overnight if possible.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place potato in a pan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil, then simmer over medium-high heat for 4 minutes until just tender.
- Place on a baking tray, toss with remaining oil and season.
- Heat a large ovenproof frypan over medium heat and brown the pork cutlets for 2 minutes each side and then transfer pork and potatoes to the oven and roast for 20 minutes or until the pork is cooked but still juicy and potatoes are golden.
- Rest pork, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile (while pork is in the oven) for the cabbage, heat the butter and oil in a large grypan over medium-high heat and add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and apple and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes until apple starts to soten.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes and then add spices.
- Season, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in sugar and vinegar, increase heat to high and stir or 1-2 minutes until combined,.
- Serve pork with cabbage and potatoes.