Recipe by Hunkle
There is a restaurant called Papalucci's here in Belmont Shore that serves an awesome florentine pizza. I've tried to duplicate it for years and I think I finally got it! It's not like most florentine pizzas and it's sooooo good and can be topped with chicken or mushrooms or whatever else strikes your fancy. I hope you like it. This recipe does not include the pizza dough. If you are not using store bought, there are dozens of great pizza dough recipes already posted on 'Zaar to try.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 0.25 (12 ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 0.25 (10 ounce) container pesto sauce (I use Classico)
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the alfredo sauce.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in flour and stir until it is evenly incorporated with the butter making a loose paste.
- Add in the half and half cream. Bring to a simmer over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
- Simmer for minute or so over low heat stirring continuously until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses stirring constantly to melt them evenly. Be sure to reserve the remaining mozzarella for the topping.
- Season with white pepper to taste.
- For the spinach topping.
- Squeeze as much of the water from the spinach as possible.
- Puree the pesto sauce and spinach together in a food processor until the pesto and spinach are combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor with a rubber spatula to ensure all the pesto is incorporated. The final product should be a paste that will hold a shape.
- Place the prepared pizza dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread the alfredo sauce evenly over the pizza dough.
- Spread the spinach/pesto mixture over the alfredo sauce.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is brown and cheese is bubbly.