Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is a great recipe to use to energize your holidays with eggs!! This recipe came from Get Cracking - A package of Old Cheddar Cheese, thinly sliced can be substituted for the Swiss cheese if preferred.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, rinsed and stems removed
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced cooked ham or 1⁄2 lb cooked turkey
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 (200 g) package swiss cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F In large skillet, sauté onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add spinach, cover and cook just until spinach wilts. Drain very well and set side.
- Whisk together 3 eggs and 1 egg white. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Layer half the meat, red pepper, cheese and spinach; cover with half the beaten egg mixture. Repeat layers, pouring remaining egg mixture over top.
- Cover with pastry; seal and crimp the edges. Brush top with remaining egg yolk blended with a bit of water; slit surface. Bake pie on cookie sheet 30- 35 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm or cool.