Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Unique Italian Deep Fried Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- flour, for working dough
- oil, for deep-frying
- confectioners' sugar (powdered)
- Put flour into a bowl and mix in the butter.
- Add the sugar, eggs, egg yolks, salt, lemon zest, and rum to the flour.
- Work the ingredients into dough.
- If the dough is too dry add a little water.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and shiny.
- Cover and allow to rest in a cool place for 1 hour.
- Heat at least 3-4" of oil to 350°F
- Divide the dough into fourths.
- On a floured surface roll out one quarter of the dough until it is thin (1/6") and cut into strips about 4" x 1/2".
- Tie each strip into a simple, loose knot.
- Fry the knots, 4 or 5 at a time, until puffed up and golden (about 1-2 minutes).
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Before serving sprinkle with sifted confectioners sugar.
something is missing i think
Not what I expected. I was hoping for a better cookie then what I ended up with. Too much lemon zest and not enough rum.