Recipe by Auntie Mags
A great side dish in the late summer when there's an abundance of Italian tomatoes on the vines!
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Oh boy, oh boy! This is absolutely so delicious! Great comfort food, all my favorite veggies, and CHEESE too! I halved this recipe but I shouldn't of even bothered. I was asked to make it the next day as well. No worries though, it was a breeze to put together, fun, and the aroma of it heating in the broiler was enough to make you faint. I used fresh spinach from our garden, and added a bit of red onion too, (I didn't want to deviate from the original) but just threw the onion in anyway. The salt and pepper is a must, as it brings the whole taste sensation right over the top. Since I have already made this twice, you can bet I will be making time and time again. Perfect, Auntie Mags!
- 8 -12 roma tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve tomatoes lengthwise and scoop out a portion of the interior.
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Defrost and squeeze dry spinach.
- In a medium bowl, mix spinach, Provolone and garlic, breaking apart clumps of spinach.
- Top tomatoes with plenty of spinach mixture.
- Grate fresh Parmesan cheese on top.
- Broil in oven until cheese is thoroughly melted and beginning to brown.