Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is terrific for potlucks and can be served either as a side dish or as a vegetarian entree.
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 5 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen spinach leaves, thawed squeezed dry,reserving 3/4 cup liquid
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- In kettle of boiling salted water cook fettuccine 5 to 7 minutes, until al dente.
- Drain and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add spinach and reserved liquid; combine the mixture well.
- In a saucepan sauté the garlic and onion in butter until softened; stir in flour and cook the roux over low heat, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add milk in a stream, whisking vigorously until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add wine and simmer the sauce, stirring, 10 minutes.
- Stir the sauce into the spinach mixture; stir in both cheeses, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a well-buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top and bake the casserole 15 to 20 minutes at 425ºF.
- or until it is bubbly and the crumbs are lightly browned.
This was fantastic, I made it for guests last night and they loved it. I never changed a thing. I found it very easy to make. It was served with a large garden salad with balsamic dressing, and crusty rolls. Thanks Miss Anne its a keeper.
I thought this dish was fantastic! I served it to company and they loved it too! Will definately make this again! Followed it exactly(well, almost, I used grape juice instead of wine) wouldn't change a thing!
This was a nice dish. In my opinion it was a bit much as a main dish and I'll be trying it again as a side dish. The only thing I'd tweak a bit is to make the sauce a bit thinner, the end result was a bit pasty for our liking, but the overall taste was good.