Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe that was given to me by my sister and I have not tried it yet. I love soups and pierogi so I can't wait to make it.
- 28 small frozen pierogi or 12 regular size frozen potato & cheese pierogies
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 (14 ounce) can nonfat chicken broth
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cook pierogies in boiling water until just thawed, about 3 minutes. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile in a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven, over medium high heat, heat oil. Add chicken pieces, onion and garlic. Stir constantly until chicken is lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add flour; stir about 1 minute or until lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in thawed pierogies. Continue cooking 2 or 3 minutes or till heated through.
Just made this tonight. I was looking for a recipe to use up some things I had in my freezer and so glad I came across this recipe. I used the regular size of pierogies but will use the smaller ones next time. I also doubled the chicken broth and added a cup of heavy cream. I added some black pepper, parsley and red pepper to spice it up a little. Put a small spoonful of sour cream and bacon on top as garnish... was a hit with the whole family. Oh, I also used frozen spinach instead of fresh and it was fine that way.
Now this is my idea of serious comfort food. Made as directed and I wouldn't change anything. I used the regular size pierogies. Rich, thick, and delicious. Thanks.
OK, don't know why this review didn't go through yesterday when I wrote it so..here goes again. As written, the recipe doesn't have much for seasonings so here are my changes: I added 1 cup celery, 1 cup carrots,chopped roughly. Also, garlic powder,seasoned pepper & poultry seasoning, to taste. Wonderful withthese changes. A good all-around hearty soup..thanks *Asha*!