- 11 ounces whole wheat bread, stale
- 1 lb ripe plum tomatoes or 1 lb canned plum tomatoes
- 1 medium leek
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- chili pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the finely sliced leek and chili pepper in olive oil in a pot.
- When cooked, add chopped tomatoes and chopped fresh basil.
- Bring to a boil over a medium heat and 5 minutes later, add the broth.
- Salt and bring to boiling point then add the thinly sliced bread.
- Leave to cook for 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and leave covered, for about one hour.
- Before serving, stir well with a whisk.