Recipe by Maxxr
I brought this recipe with me from South Africa. We now go for firmer ones. You might want to double this for larger crowds.
Top Review by kittykat #2
I'm not rating this yet, I just made the dough (?) as instructed. Is there twice as much water in this recipe as is needed? My dough is not anywhere near being able to be made into a ball. It's more like watery oatmeal consistancy. The ingredient list doesn't even call for water but itis called for twice in the directions. Clarification please? UPDATE: I ended up adding enough additional matzo meal to make these workable into balls. About 2 more tbsp. I simmered them covered for 30 minutes and they came out fairly well. I think beating the egg till frothy helped a lot ( I put my eggs through my magic bullet) Lighter than the box recipe but basically the same. Thanks!
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons schmaltz or 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a large pot filled with salted water on the stove to boil.
- Beat together 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons water until frothy.
- Add 2 tablespoons schmaltz, 2 tablespoons water and 1/2 cup matzo meal.
- Add salt and cinnamon. Mixture should be soft but firm enough to make balls.
- Boil immediately, do not let stand or refrigerate.
- Can freeze after boiling for 20 minutes otherwise boil for 30 minutes.