Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe lives up to it's name!
- 5 quarts popped corn
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Spread the popped corn in shallow baking pans.
- Place in the 250 degree oven to keep warm while making the caramel.
- Combine the butter, salt, brown sugar, vanilla and corn syrup in a heavy 2-qt.
- Heat at a low temp until syrup is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil to firm ball stage (248 degrees on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda- mixture will foam big time!
- Take popcorn from oven and pour caramel over; stir well to coat.
- Return to oven and bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring well every 15 minutes to keep from burning.
- Remove from oven and immediately turn out onto waxed paper to cool.
- After the caramel corn is cooled, break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
The five stars say it all! Don't change a thing ~ this is a keeper!! Thanks for posting!