Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I'm ashamed to admit that I always thought that it wasn't really possible to make floating islands (like twinkies, and coca cola). But it is. I found this recipe in Australian Table magazine. It's even better than the store-bought ones.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius Grease 4 (1 cup capacity) pudding basins or ovenproof cups.
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and beat to soft peaks with an electric mixer. Gradually add sugar 1 Tbsp at a time, beating well after each one until sugar has dissolved.
- Divide egg white mixture between prepared dishes. Using a spatula, smooth tops over. Place dished in a roasting tin and pour enough boiling water into the pan to reach halfway up sides of dishes.
- Bake, uncovered, in oven 12 minutes until floating islands have risen by 1/3. Remove from oven and stand in pan 2 minutes.
- As that's happening, place cream, honey and cardamom in a small jug and mix well to combine. Divede cardamom cream among serving plates or flat-ish bowls. Carefully turn out floating islands onto cream. Sprinkle with pistachios to serve.